Thursday, September 10, 2026

Retreating to the City

 I am in Madison  retreating this year. Attending the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show. But first yesterday I visited Olbrich Botanical Gardens. It wasn't too colorful as I expected at end of season. I did expect a few more annuals. No petunias! No Chrysanthemums, even in bud. Plenty of other fun. I was pleased to see a lavish use of native wildflowers in the gardens. But my favorites were the water lilies in their sunken watergarden.

Two surprises. First "skinny genes" oak tree. A nice slender specimen. I wonder how old it is. But yikes up against the building.


And then this 8ft persicaria. Just a 1 ft tall weed in my area.

Then across from my hotel a little shopping  for a new purse. The one I liked the best was $325.00. So I thought I might make one. 

At the show I was surprised to see several vendors with cork, leather and lightweight vinyl and all the purse making patterns and supplies that you need to become overwhelmed. In the end I decided to wait cause I do have a few purse patterns never used and hardware and a shop local to me is heavy into purses. No she wasn't at the show. 

I won't share photos of the show. In the past they posted a virtual walk through but they aren't up. Maybe later.

I shopped cause dh said to have fun. I didn't add anything up but this is what's coming home with me. Not bad considering over 300 vendor spaces. Yes that's a jelly roll of Kaffe Fasset. I do buy precuts of his stuff.


And evenings I'm sewing in my room cause it is a retreat. So far a dozen green stars like these. Prettier than the picture.


I'll be heading home sometime tomorrow, but 1 day at the show is enough for me. I did not sign up for any classes or lectures. 

No comments: