Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Catch Up Time

I have quilt tops going back to July I think.

 The Churn Dash blocks I made a few years ago and they sat as I was undecided on the setting I wanted to use. They are a little busy being all scrappy. Glad I waited. I'm surprised how much I enjoy this little quilt. I think the green is singing to me.

The Blocks on point are one of only a few quilts I ever arranged on the diagonal. I think I made these blocks earlier this winter at Studio 3. I remember auditioning blue fabrics there for the setting pieces. But I bought the blocks home and checked my stash here where most of it is in the sewing room. I tend to like a gold like I used here. 

The quilt top on the left is a Robbing Peter to Pay Paul variation. I'm sure it goes by many names. If you know any of them. I'd be interested in hearing them. I started this well over 10 years ago. Ive done other variations of this before and can think of still others. Maybe some day.

 Cleaning out the closet I came across these 2 sets of 5 blocks. They are blocks using my Thirtysomething technique. I probably used the pieces for demonstrating when teaching. Time to finish them up and clean out the closet. Maybe just to move them to another location in the house though. I'm undecided where I'd donate them.

This is a disappearing 4-patch I think I pieced this spring. I did not enjoy the technique. I sure like the quilt though. Sue liked it well enough to make a pair for twin beds. 

Simple little squares and rectangles. Bright and fun and happy. Someone will like having it. Yes, the fabrics are from my stash. Fabric I bought! I bought many fat quarters over the years and just used little bits in my scrap quilts. I'm curious how many quilts some of  those individual fabrics have been used in. Impossible to count. 

The purple/blue is another simple one. Actually its one of two. I'd planned to set the blocks side by side without the white sashing added to just 2 sides of the rectangular blocks. But it was tooooooo much purple for my taste. The blocks I made at retreat in July. 

 This is a quarter of a quilt design by Bonnie Hunter. Lori1R, fellow Stasthbuster did hers in green. The 4-patches were made at Studio 3 in June. Then the top was assembled when I attended a retreat in October with Irene up at camp in White Lake, WI. I loved it there so much in the forest. We decided to plan on returning a few more times. I can see making this one again. 

I had the 2 blocks for this done and ready to finish at retreat too. I like to take projects all cut out and almost done so that I don't get confused. But I don't like to do borders at retreat. I often like to audition different border ideas. And for measuring the small ones I like to spread them out on my flannel wall to easily compare measurements to keep it square. 

I had hoped to keep this blog current, but its been a challenge to sit at the computer and I'd rather post from the computer than my phone. Part of my delay is that I never got around to taking pictures. I'm caught up now I think. If I didn't take a picture its cause the quilts were simple little 4-patch or 9-patch donation quilts. 

I did a fair bit of quilting this year so far using my longarm. Earlier in the year it was quilts for nephews family. I quilted a pile of donation quilts for church too. The other ladies do most of the piecing. I quilt the bigger ones for them and return them to the ladies for binding. We have one other volunteer with a longarm. She provides batting and backing and finishing and takes donations to her choice of charities. The church ladies like that. They just want to sew. 

I will check and see if that's everything, but I think so. No doubt it would be easier now to post from my phone, so we will see if that happens any time soon. Till then.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.