Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gotta get a quilting fix

Since I have been busy with mother at the hospital and a bit of traveling, I haven't had much time for quilting. I am pleased with the progress on my Gayle's (Grandmothers) Flower Garden quilt. Everyone asks what it is and I have to say I don't really know because I don't know how big it will be when I have decided I have had enough. I've made 11 flowers so far and am still really surprisingly enjoying it. But I am working with 1930's reproductions and they don't really excite me. So I am thinking of keeping this one small and starting another hexagon design in different colors. Only time will tell.
Going back 2 weeks I still have this photo of a church quilt. I assembled the kit and Mary pieced and will quilt it. I sure would like to see these bigger, but they do go to kids and most of the ladies can't comfortably handle a bigger quilt on their home machines.

This second quilt is another one I put together with OLD orphan blocks. It was gratifying when my niece saw it in progress and said she loved it. Besides adjusting the blocks to fit together, and joining the blocks in rows, the only part I pieced for this quilt is the red flying geese at the bottom. It just needed more red and the space was perfect. The basket of red carolina lilies is a cheater block and the rest of the blocks have been donated over the last 2 years. Well, it was another challenge I enjoyed and that's all that matters to me!
I can literally feel the tension melt away when I start to work on my quilts. So I think I am going to go do that.

1 comment:

SueR said...

It's nice when your orphan blocks are similar enough in style and/or color that they'll go together as nicely as yours. My orphan blocks are so different that they'll probably be orphans forever!