Monday, December 16, 2019

Deep Piles

It's that time of year when one takes inventory of accomplishments made in the past year or makes lists of what they hope to get done in the next year.  About a month ago I made a list of what  I hope to still get done this year. Let's see how I did.

I thought I might finish 2 more tops this year. This 16-patch quilt I'd just started. It'll get done if I can find a border for it.

I finished finished the applique quilt. That means it's bound too.

Three of the six quilts that needed borders are now done. I found the fourth, now there is no excuse.

I have reached the middle of the quilt I've got loaded downstairs. I'll still aim to finish that soon and maybe get another comfort quilt done before New Years. I thought I might be able to get 4 more quilted but I'm doing a custom job on it and the last and that slows me down. The next few are decided and the backs are ready.

 I opened a bag of scraps stuffed in a drawer and found these blocks. I remember them but didn't remember they were in the bag. The blocks all use Onlies units from my Thirtysomething Block book.  So I've cut more to make a small quilt. I was just using up the fabric and so will have a  pinwheel sampler. I haven't thought as far as sashing yet. It is small so there is a good chance I can get it done by New Years.
There are a few other assorted piles for new quilts from that bag. And a few piles of fabric pulled for a few other quilts stacked on my table or piled on the floor. I need to tweak those selections before I start cutting. I like revisiting them weeks later. Seeing them with fresh eyes always helps me decide. Sometimes I can look at a pile and it all goes back in the drawer. It's not always the fabrics I chose but sometimes I decide against doing the design I had in mind. No time now.

At Studio 3 I have several projects going, too. I bet you could have guessed. The one that has gotten the most attention lately is the homespun plaids. I thought I'd get this one done soon but it's taking longer than I thought. I'll be making it a little bigger than this, just enough to use up a small pile of scraps. I have a few ideas about using more of the plaids. I do like the plaid shoo-fly blocks, so I will be thinking of that as an option.
I am having a hard time remembering Christmas will be here soon and there are things I must do to be ready. Cause really, I'd rather quilt! Can you tell?

No comments: