Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Kit has been Cut

When I put my own kits together, I like to cut most of it before I put the box on the shelf. I also like to make a block or two. Sometimes I don't have a clue what setting I will use for the blocks.  I don't usually use any directions so the block is a good quick visual of what I am planning to do. If I have a plan,  I might print out a diagram from Electric Quilt, that goes in the box, too.
 





I have the little squares and red triangles cut for  the Delectable Mountains variation I am doing using my old scraps. The block is similar to the Split 9-patch block. The difference being that in the Split 9-patch, instead of one large light triangle the light side of the block has the same number of light colored squares and triangles as the dark side. And like the log cabin, there are dozens of settings for the blocks.  I am planning to do the traditional barn raising setting. For some reason, I am having trouble showing that to you.  I am guessing its related to Windows v.8. Haven't got it mastered yet.



I was anxious to see how they looked so I sewed up 4 sets. I'm loving it so far, so it will be interesting to see if the kit ever makes it to the closet shelf. Stay tuned to see if I can resist sewing it up right away or if I cut another kit instead.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I also like to cut up kits and put them away for a rainy day. Most of the time I remember to put in the instructions, but not always and that makes for an interesting debate.

Looks like you've been having an interesting time in your studio. I really must do that one of these days. The other day I brought home daughter's voice coach's quilt. It's in need of a little TLC. I'm going to mend one block and then give her all she needs to do the rest. It will be a first for both of us. It is a lovely tulip quilt from the 30s. its' nice to be able to help her in return, she's done so much for my daughter.