Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Orphan Block Tutorial - Part 2

Step 4 - My rows decided to be columns instead. Now, that they are the same width, it is time to make them the same length. This is where I incorporate spacer strips.  Personally, I figure it out mathematically, but I like math. They can be pieced (think rows of triangles or squares) or plain. Sometimes I like to use a busy print here. Finalize the position of the blocks in the row based on color. Insert the needed spacers randomly in the rows.  In other words, don’t add them all at the end of the row.


 On this quilt I determined that the two rows of 8" blocks would finish at 64". The center row needed an extra 4" so a row of flying geese was made. The first row needed an extra half inch so the pink frame has wider top and bottom strips than it has on its sides. I was lucky with the last row. I was able to make up the difference with the frame for the two 5" blocks.


Step 5 -   Now I need to decide how I want to sew the rows, together.   Do I want a light or medium sashing? I kind of like the darker gray sashing.  I'm not interested in making the pieced sashing for this so the only other option is to set  the blocks side-by-side. I like the blocks side-by-side the best but think I might prefer to add a border to the quilt with the dark sashing.

Step 6 -  Once the rows are together, it's time for the border.  And as usual, I don't know what I want to do about that, so I'll let it sit for a while.  Who knows, maybe in 5 years I'll add another row of blocks, and then a border. And why not?

To see photos of some of the other quilts I've made with orphan blocks for church, click the "orphan" link in the sidebar.

No comments: