Monday, January 19, 2015

Sitting Pretty

I've finished the Sitting Pretty quilt made as part of my 1930's Bin Bust. I don't find the green sashing and cornerstones completely offensive. I am still not really keen on the quilt though. Someday I hope to quilt it up and be surprised at how lovely a quilt it is and how the quilting really enhances the image.


But first I am on to other things I am sure to enjoy more. The sashing and  Union Square blocks are all together. I used 4 1/2" strips for the sashing without cornerstones. I thought it would be a very fitting treatment for blocks made with my 1800's scraps since blocks were frequently sashed that way back then.


 Now I am auditioning triangles for a pieced border. The triangles I am showing are from my scrap box. I am only using them to see if I want to use this size. They work for me so I will plan to work on the pieced border at Studio 3. I think I will be able to get all the triangles I need from the same box of scraps I  took over there a few months ago.The same fabrics used in the blocks. Sometimes it seems it doesn't take much fabric to make a quilt.

Tonight I am prepping another quilt of mine for the longarm. That means choosing the quilting design and any preliminary marking and then pinning and rolling it on the poles. Actually I just have the border left to decide on. Before I am done with that one I hope to have the quilting for the next one planned and ready to go.

We have had some nice winter weather this week so I took a few hikes. I'm glad for the wintertime cause to me it means quilting time. In warm weather I have a hard time balancing my quilting time with my outside time. Sometimes the days seem so short. Does that mean in the end I will feel like life is too short?





5 comments:

Kate said...

Sitting Pretty turned out beautifully, as did Union Square.

Vicki W said...

I think the first quilt is really cute. Love the blue sashing on the second one.

Nana Bluebird aka Kathy Aho said...

Gayle, Both quilts look great. These are two eras that I really like. Bravo! ...enjoy the quilting journey even if the days are too short sometimes to do all we hope to get done. Kathy Aho in MN

Bonnie said...

I too like the first quilt, busting the 30's fabric. I haven't joined in on that challenge mainly because I don't want to start another project. I'm going to have to take a look at your new book as I own the ruler and a UFO from your first 30 something book. It's on the list but who knows when I'll pull it out to work on it.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely quilts Gayle. I especially love the one from the 30's print. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!