Quilts for Sale

Monday, December 22, 2014

Let the 1930's Bin Bust Begin

The scrappy Crazy 8's quilt top is done, I just haven't taken it's official picture yet. My excuse is that  I got wrapped up in the Stashbuster's 1930's Bin Bust.  The first of the 1930's scraps I wanted to deal with were the left-over pinwheel blocks that were supposed to alternate throughout in this quilt.

I had a few more triangles to use with them so I've come up with two possible settings for them.
My first thought was with doube wide sashing like this, but use up a bunch of the prints for the sashing. That was awful. I didn't think I had enough of any one print to use till I remembered the comfort quilt fabric. Since this project is going to that cause anyway I felt free to use a hunk of theirs for the wide sashing. There is just enough - I think.

But I also considered setting the blocks on point like this. the setting triangles could be the same print as the sashing print above or anything except more muslin.

 Our comfort quilts are made in  all sizes, but we are usually asked to make them as big as we can. So I will go with the first layout. I was hoping to get to that this afternoon but the family has other plans for me. Imagine that.
If you are not a Stashbusters Yahoo Group member you can still join in the fun of the challenge of emptying a bin of fabric from your stash. The idea is to use up a collection of one type of fabric in your stash that you are not so interested in anymore.  Next on my list will be Thimbleberries. Unless I can find someone to buy them.



1 comment:

Nann said...

I like the second layout. Not just because it's on point but because the massed pinwheels are a nice counterpoint to the airier pinwheels-with-sashing.