Monday, March 18, 2013

For the Curious

I know some of you took some Process Pledge to enlighten others as to how you work and made decisions on your quilts. In case you are a new reader, this is a glimpse of how I often work. First I make a bunch of blocks that I like. Then I try various settings. So far I have made 13 of my Flying Geese blocks.

I tried setting them on the diagonal, but it does nothing for me. At least alternating with plain blocks. I don't think I'd like this with any kind of alternate block- light, dark, pieced or appliqued. Set straight either.

  Then I tried setting them with sashing. Surprisingly, I liked this enough to try it with a dark sashing, too.  Okay, maybe this is too dark.  I just grabbed some brown strips from my 2 1/2" strip scrap box.

I guess it's back to the original plan.  Not sure how big I want this yet, but I think I need to lighten it up a bit with the next few blocks I make. As much as I like this, I'm thinking like Nann. I'd like this just fine if it were in bright colors. Please someone do it so I can see how much better great it could look either way.

 I hope your International Quilting Weekend was productive, too. To see other settings I have tried for some of the other quilts I have made, click on "variations" under Labels.

No comments: