Thursday, December 14, 2017

Still Learning

I've been working towards my goal for the end of the year. I've got 2 quilts bound, one ready for binding and the quilting on the last one started. 
 Here they are the finished two.

The more I quilt the more fun it gets.

 When I learned to machine quilt I used clear nylon thread on the top and cotton in the bobbin. It was great because I stitched in the ditch alot back then and if I jumped the curb you couldn't see it. As my skills increased I switched to cotton thread. I never liked it though cause I thought it was too thick and sat on top of the quilt. I should have experimented with thinner threads. When I got my longarm I felt like I had to start all over. I had to practice alot till I was comfortable with how my quilting looked. Now that I am comfortable with it I think I am ready to use some contrasting thread once in awhile so that the stitching shows up. I am loving some of the quilting designs that I use but they hardly show up. Also, I must keep in mind that if I don't use a busy print on the back of the quilt that I must hand tie the ends of the threads. My starts and stops are still a little messy. But really, I should try a little harder or I'll never get better.


Since I'm doing so well I'll add to the goal to complete 2 more tops. The blocks have been done for months and I'd like to count them as a finish for this year. Stay tuned.


2 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I've traveled the same quilting journey as you explain here. Now I find I want to see the stitches....... the more the merrier.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.