Thursday, January 10, 2013

It's not Cheating

I cut the Delectable Mountains quilt out quickly thanks to the triangle papers I used. I wouldn't ordinarily use them, but am glad I did. I typically do scrap quilts so use a triangle tool to cut triangles from strips but since this quilt only has three colors used in the half-square triangles I thought it would be easier to use the papers. I have them left here from years ago when I taught a basic quilting class.


I needed 350 of the triangle pairs and it was nice not to have to measure them when cutting. In case the concept is foreign to you, the idea is to layer contrasting fabrics right sides together with the paper pinned on top. Stitch on the sewing lines, cut on the cutting lines, rip the papers off and press.  Removing the papers is pretty easy because it's thin newsprint.  I know there are several brands of papers for piecing half-square triangle units. These only say "Copyright 1991 Mimi Shimp", but I thought they were the best.

Tuesday there was a quilt club meeting at BF. I brought my mystery for show and tell. A new mystery and block of the month started, but I didn't join either.I just don't have the patience for them.But fun was had by all.

1 comment:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I print the lines straight on the fabric with freezer paper ironed to it for stiffness, then sew and cut. No paper to remove.