Tuesday, August 7, 2018

More Progress

The weather is cooperating nicely today( it's raining), but rather than sew I thought I'd post about my progress piecing.  One day last week it was too hot to be outside so I did a little sewing and finished up the little stars and cut the sashing. This is where I left it.


Then again I had a chance to sew. I sure did choose a confusing layout. Maybe not really confusing but I felt like I'd have to get up to retrieve the next few blocks as there isn't lots of repetitive units in this setting as the piece gets bigger. Till I looked again. So I moved it to the floor for photos so it would be easier for you to see.

I found that I could  make multiples of the block with sashing and cornerstones attached as in the upper left corner. Then an alternate unit was the little stars with sashing just on 2 sides. So I will still have narrow and wide rows just not so many or so narrow as in just sashing and cornerstones.

I will have to proceed slowly to sew in the correct order. One can't be too hasty to add the setting triangles. I won't be too wordy here. Study the pictures if you are really interested in trying this yourself.


 I've added all the setting triangles and the rest of the sashing here. Do you find it easier to see with
the rows on the diagonal (at left) or
straight across in the picture (at right)?









 Maybe a close up will help you understand it easier.  The sashing was already on all 4 sides of the block in the corner. I just added sashing unit to side setting triangles then they went on the block. The next row is ready to add here.





The second row has been added and the next side triangles too.  The 4 corners are always added last on diagonal set quilts.




The rows are all ready to join together. I will finish the upper left corner like the opposite corner before joining to the top.The 3 middle rows too will go together before adding the 2 corner sections.

Can't wait to finish it now to see if I even like it or if it will get a border. Must fit on a table at home. Once home I will get a picture with a different camera. Interested to see what the color will be like from that one.



I love the color of this wooden floor.  I have a flannel wall at Studio 3. One day one of my students asked what color sashing she should use on the blocks she just arranged on the white flannel. We were all in agreement that a light color would not be very complimentary. I suggested arranging the blocks on the floor to see if that color might be a good choice. It was! she bought fabric that was really close to the same color and the quilt was beautiful. Always a question when designing a quilt - How light or dark a fabric should be? I think with the white flannel we sometimes forget our options.

I've made progress on others, just need a photo.

2 comments:

swooze said...

Great looking quilt Gayle!

QuiltGranma said...

I love this setting!