Monday, August 13, 2018

Heading South

Last week on my blog I showed how I constructed this diagonally set quilt with sashing, taking an unusual approach. All the blocks are together now and I brought my little star and chain quilt home even though it still  needs its corners. Here I will hunt through my stash for a border. I'm not convinced it needs one. In which case the quilt will turn out smaller than intended. That's okay though. Getting it quilted is not a high priority. I can decide about a border later.  I also remembered to use a different camera. I am happier with these photos. Reminder to self:  - use old camera again! The squares were cut a tiny 1 1/2" yielding a 4" block. And though all the scraps could have been gleaned from the waste basket at Studio 3, I chose colors that have a muted dusty rosy overall tone to them. My aim was to make it look kinda old. I Sure had a hard time getting the color right on a photo.



I also finished the Flying Geese quilt I started last fall. Well, the top. I named it Heading South.  Once it is quilted I will finish it with brown binding. I wanted these quilts small  (about 36") to use as table toppers. I'd like to do one more for Halloween and I also have a 1930's grandmothers flower garden hexie quilt top almost done for a springtime quilt. Oh and my 4 block tulip applique for spring as well. I thought I took a photo already but it's lost.  It's a good thing I have more than one table these will fit.

In the past I would have  made a little quilt like these in a week. Instead of sewing all day like I used to I'm now busy working in the woods. It was a bit overgrown when we got it about 5 years ago and I can see areas (It's 11 acres) where we have done nothing and the weed trees are obviously continuing to grow. So my mission this summer is to cut them back and eliminate them. Either literally or figuratively. Mark will cut the bigger ones though they allllll get killed by me. And I LOVE trees. Opening it up to sunlight allows the wildflowers to grow and I love those too.

Since it is hot again today I have some time for blogging so I am joining these linky parties

Main Crush Monday
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

8 comments:

SarahZ said...

Oh my! These are just darling! And looking back, that sashing/diagonal setting is very clever, indeed!!

Tracie said...

These are beautiful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are both so great! That heading south tho - that one calls to me!!

Judy Hansen said...

Both are beautiful. Heading south would go well on a table in my home - I might make a flying geese table topper like yours someday. But right now I have too many projects started. The diagonal assembly is the way I sew a top together too, if it's on point. I like to lay it all out on the design wall, so I don't get the wrong pieces sewed together.

Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays,
Judy

Kate said...

Both quilts turned out beautifully!

Gayle Bong said...

Thank you Sarah. I have done few diagonally set quilts. Maybe this method will allow for more. Remembering to do it is the trick.
Gayle

Edi said...

Ingin memperoleh info menang judi dan video bokep lengkap, segera kunjungi situs yang ada dibawah ini.

Info Jitu
Koin Pulsa
Cheat Pasti
Cheat Game Onlines
Situs Panas

Ezy Cash for Cars said...

Excellent article with a wonderful message.Thanks for sharing the informational facts. We would like to extend our service which is benefited by our customer with cash for cars and the car removal. if so you are looking to sell the cars to earn money we would be the right choice for it