Monday, September 15, 2014

Uneven 9-patch

I had a chance to do some sewing yesterday. After much deliberation I made these uneven 9-patch blocks using some of my least favorite fabrics in my drawer of 1800 repro prints. This was actually a pretty common pattern over 100 years ago.

 I am surprised by how much I like it because it is so simple. Sometimes they were arranged with sashing though usually they alternate with a plain block.Occasionally the quilt history/documentation books show it used in a border. Maybe that's a good idea  for a bed size quilt where repeating the same block throughout gets kinda boring.


 
I am not sure why I chose my least favorite fabrics to use since my goal here is to make something I like. I think it's cause I like a challenge and Sue thinks I need a challenge. She suggested somethintg with tiny pieces or curved seams like she likes to do. She doesn't know what a challenge it is for me to use fabrics I am not really keen on.Which is kind of funny because she won't help with the comfort quilts cause she doesn't like to work with fabric she doesn't like.   

Anyway my intent is not to make a quilt with just this block. If it were, I would definitely be using my smallest scraps. These are the centers of the blocks. Stay tuned to see how it develops.
Again I am linking to Judy's Design Wall Monday for her weekly linky party.  Thanks Judy.


No comments: