Friday, January 19, 2024

Always Leftovers

 These two tops are recent finishes. The Broken Dishes was inspired by an antique quilt I saw with 8" blocks. I've done this in 6" and I prefer that but I like these bigger pieces too because they cover alot of area fast. And a bunch of the triangles were leftover from another quilt top recently finished. It's buried upstairs so I haven't shown that yet. I did not plan for this to look Christmassy so I don't look at it that way. I still hope to find something for the border. 


The crumb quilt is one of two I've been working on at Studio 3. Lois was asking for scraps to make a courthouse steps style string quilt. She'd just finished one and enjoyed it so much she wanted to do more. So I pulled out a tub of scrapstrips and I joined her. We each made 2. This one started with strip set ends I collected from several years. Little pieces were joined to make a row. It's very freeing because there are no seams or points to match. The navy/black sashing I used was donated precut at 9" long. I think someone cut the wrong size or decided on a different color. There are enough to make another quilt. Some other day. 

I started this small quilt when a small baggie of 1 1/2" squares were donated. I like this variation of a 9-patch, but if I do it again I'll make bigger blocks. I quilted it with a simple meander.

I've got several more that are almost together. Not sure if I will quilt them soon or just add them to the pile. I'm kind of interested in getting some of the old tops moved out. 


1 comment:

Lynn J said...

Hi. I sent you an email asking about directions for a block border on page 33 in your book. Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Lynn