Thursday, April 16, 2015

mini-challenge

I was glad to go to Studio 3 for quilting this morning. I took the last quilt I did that needed binding. I got  3 sides done, but I ran short of what I cut, so set it aside to finish tonight maybe. Rather than run home for the rest of the fabric to finish the binding, I made this little Lemoyne Star block.  It finishes just 3".
I made the block just to see if I could. I think it turned out pretty good considering I switched machines half way through making it. I used a generous 1/8" seam allowance. I switched machines cause the second machine had a foot that gave me a better view of the needle and where it was going.

I didn't really doubt that I could make the 3" block with set-ins. But the other day at the Crazy Quilters show in Mukwonago I was talking with author Marie Bostwick of the Cobbled Court Series. I met her in Nebraska when we were both guests there for a quilt conference. She said the thing she remembered about me was that I said I would have no problems doing a 3" star with set-ins.  I guess I remember that conversation a little differently than she did. So when I found I had a few minutes this morning with a tiny bit of scraps I thought I'd give it  a go. And guess what? No problem. Imagine that.

I've got no plans to make more though I do think those little blocks are darn cute. It took such little bits of fabric the size I often toss in the trash. Ouch. Just think of all the little blocks I could make with the trash. Do I dare see how frugal I can be and . . .


2 comments:

Heather said...

Your block turned out well. I have made a few rather small blocks, though I sewed with a 1/4 inch seam and then trimmed it smaller. Is that cheating?

Dora, the Quilter said...

Over 30 years ago, my aunt asked me to repair a quilt top that she had put through the washing machine. [Duh!!!] It was a French Bouquet pattern. I no longer remember how many of those stars I had to replace--plenty, however. Since Great Aunt Bess had handpieced them, I did too. Yes, three inch stars are tiny. That was before people were designing reproduction fabrics. I wonder where that quilt is today?