Quilts for Sale

Monday, August 2, 2010

mystery solved

I finally got another UFO done. It's this red and purple thing that I had no original plans for. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, though it is a bit bright. Mark couldn't believe that I actually had all those fabrics on hand. I don't particularly get excited about making a quilt completely from stash. With the amount of fabric I have on hand, I would expect to be able to do that easily.
When I started this quilt at the retreat last March, I simply stitched red strips and purple strips into strip sets . Then cut my triangles. I had no further plans. Then I searched for a background fabric, and I found this light blue fabric that was in my basket of new fabrics waiting to be washed. After I made that decision, I found the multicolored fabric hidden in my stash. I don't know that it was the wisest way to approach making a quilt, because I think it took longer this way. I think in the near future I will plan my quilts, in a little more detail before hand, and they will probably get done a little more quickly.

Summer is in full swing and I have been busy quilting, thanks to the AC and Lenni in the basement. I've gotten too small quilts done that I will be sending off to be auctioned. There is an Amish quilt auction in Amherst, WI where I sent quilts before. I don't send my best or those that scream "made by Gayle Bong", because you can't set a minimum bid and you never know what kind of money you'll get. You can always tell when I'm feeling overwhelmed with the number of quilts on hand, because that's when I start sending them off to be auctioned.

Last week I was busy volunteering for the Milwaukee Machine Quilting Show that's going on this week. This is the 1st year for the show, and I thought they would be busy in the office. I really want this show to be a success because big shows like this are so inspiring and one that is close to home saves the expense of transportation and lodging. I'll be helping out a little bit more this week, besides taking 3 classes. I got a sneak peek at some awesome quilts. And if I go to the convention center this afternoon to help I'll get a closer look.

I do not entertain thoughts of ever quilting so well. The quilts entered in this show are clearly made for competition. That's just not my idea of quilting. That's not to say that I can't get some wonderful ideas and dabble at some of the techniques used in the show quilts. Someday anyways. Yes Judy, I had hoped it would be this year. But the year is not over yet.

No doubt I won't have time for personal quilting this week. And I won't be posting pictures from the show because I won't have gotten permission from the designers. But perhaps I can show pictures of what I did in my classes, so stay tuned. Sew long.

No comments: